Chris Platé is the Executive Director of Economic Development with Monroe-Union County Economic Development. In this role, Chris leads a team providing all aspects of economic development for Union County via an Interlocal agreement between the City of Monroe and Union County. He oversees the industry recruitment and retention, product & real estate development, marketing activities, the foreign trade zone and securing of grants. Chris holds a Bachelor of Science in Economics and minors in Political Science and Law from Clemson University. Chris is married to his wife, Dana, for 18 years and they have two children. He is an avid Clemson sports fan and loves to golf, shooting, boating, hiking and other outdoor activities.
Chris has 22 years of experience in Economic Development. In his 18+ years in Union County, Chris has also managed Downtown Monroe, Monroe’s Public Information, the Monroe Tourism Development Authority and the Charlotte-Monroe Executive Airport.
Chris first worked in the financial analysis and rating of banking and real estate investment trusts (REIT’s) at Moody’s Investor Service that provided a foundation for his career in Economic Development.
Accolades in Chris’s career, include
- In 2016, Chris was named the NCEDA Economic Developer of the Year
- In 2015, Union County was ranked the #1 County in NC for Investment and 39th in the United States
- In 2014, Monroe was named a Top 5 Location for Boeing Suppliers; Top 10 Places to Re-Shore a Manufacturing Plant near a Major Airport; and Top 10 “No-Brainer” Location for Manufacturing
- In 2013, Monroe was named a Top 10 place for Manufacturing in the Southeast
- In 2012, Monroe was recognized as Top 10 emerging aerospace clusters in the Southeast
- Recruiting over $1.7 Billion in capital investment and the creation of over 7,000 jobs
- In 2010, Monroe recognized as #3 of the Top 10 aerospace small communities in the Southern US.
- In 2009, Monroe recognized for Tenth Highest Job Creation by County in the US from 2000-2008 by CNN/Money.com
- In 2008, Monroe recognized for Top 5 in the Nation for Aerospace Recruitment in the US
- Monroe achieved the highest concentration of Aerospace companies in NC
- Monroe/Union County maintains the lowest unemployment in the Charlotte Region for over 18 years and running
- Instructor at the SC Economic Developer’s School at the College of Charleston
- Co-author of the SC Cost-benefit analysis program
- Named by the Charlotte Business Journal as one of the top 40 business people in North Carolina under 40 years old – before he was 30
- Recognized by the Governor of South Carolina for accomplishments in rural economic development
Providing life-changing opportunities to youth in Union County
Union County 4-H Foundation
Chris Plate & Stacy Yergens